Dark Reign is a new real-time strategy game developed by Activision. However, to read anything about it, you must go to www.auran.com, the developers of this game.
The future of War
This title might become truth. Unlike Starcraft, Dark Reign will involve many new revolutionary features, such as
- three-dimensional terrain. Units will be not be able to see over hills until the have climbed up; then, they can survey the whole valley
- hills offer tactical advantages, the line of sight feature allows cool ambushes
- units will be affected from the terrain, e. g. tanks will get stuck in mud
- an AI that cannot see everything and acts like a human player
- unit AIs: every unit has a life of its own and acts on its own will - up to a certain degree (depending from your commands)
- nice effects like phasing (invisibility), morphing, infiltrating ... well, this sounds familiar
- an advanced user interface that lets you plan your strikes and production ahead (e. g. order multiple units at once, coordinate attacks)
- a multiplayer mode that lets you share resources
- a map editor that lets you define mission goals - even for multiplayer missions
Dark Reign vs Starcraft
These few points show that Dark Reign could be the most revolutionary strategy game this summer; it will be Starcraft's most powerful foe. Even though the graphics don't look as good as in Starcraft and there will be few cutscenes, if any, Dark Reign contains more new ideas that will freshen up the genre. Map sizes for multiplayer games will vary according to the amount of RAM in the computers.
The screenshot shows a fierce combat but you can't see very much in this version. As you can perhaps see, the tanks look pretty cool but the soldiers are rather poorly drawn. They are just too small for lots of details, and this will be a point where Starcraft will be better. The advanced engine Dark Reign and the richness of multiplayer features make Dark Reign one of the most promising titles this year, though.
I'll update this page as soon as I hear something new.