The update provides optional
improved unit pathfinding and a modifiable unit limit cap, among several
other new features and fixes. The update is available at:
AoE patch 1.0a
If you get an error message like "DirectX 5.0a required", download DirectPlay 5.0a. This should fix that problem.
The decision to release this update was made in response to valuable input
from fans and RTS aficionados.
For update specifics, please reference the information below.
Microsoft Age of Empires Update 1.0a
Microsoft Age of Empires 1.0a is an update of Age of Empires 1.0 that
includes several enhancements and bug fixes.
Note: If you are playing a multiplayer game, all players must be using the
same version of Age of Empires.
Microsoft Age of Empires 1.0a includes the following changes:
- Population Limits -- If you are playing a multiplayer game, the game host
can increase or decrease the 50-unit population limit by adding the Limit=
parameter to the Age of Empires command line.
- Stand Ground -- The Stand Ground button prevents Stone Throwers,
Catapults, Heavy Catapults, Catapult Triremes, and Juggernaughts from
firing. For all other units, the Stand Ground button causes the unit to
remain in its location and fire at military units, boats, buildings, and
walls within its range.
- Attack Response -- When a unit is attacked, all units and allied units
within two tiles of the unit under attack respond, even if the attacking
unit is out of their sight. Villagers that have been assigned a task but
are no longer working now react to attacks.
- Group Movement -- Grouped units no longer stop when they bump into each
other. Also, movement has been improved so a group of units can move
through narrow passages more efficiently.
- Pathing Options -- There is now an option to choose how many pathing
possibilities your units calculate when moving a long distance across the
map. The higher the pathing setting, the more paths a unit considers.
Higher values also require faster computers.
Note: This feature is primarily designed to improve pathing performance on
high-end computers. The problems listed under "Group Movement" (above)
significantly improve pathing, so you might want to get a feel for these
improvements before you change the pathing settings.
- Difficulty Level -- The difficulty level is restored if you save a
campaign game, exit to Windows, and then restart the game.
- Town Centers -- If your Town Center is destroyed before the Bronze Age,
you can no longer use the SHIFT key to build multiple Town Centers until
you advance to the Bronze Age and build a Government Center.
- Multiplayer Games -- Several fixes were made to increase the stability of
multiplayer games. Players are dropped from games less often.
- Allied Transport Loading and Boat Repair -- In order to use allied
transports and repair allied boats, both players must set diplomacy to
Ally. You can no longer attack enemy boats by selecting the player as an
ally, luring the boat to shore to repair or load units onto it, and then
changing the diplomacy setting to enemy so you can attack.
Rise of Rome -